A blog about gardening, canning, quilting, family, saving money, and product reviews

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Truvia's new Brown Sugar Baking Blend - Pumpkin pie overnight oatmeal

I'm a member of CrowdTap, where I get to give my opinion on products and advertising, and sometimes I get to try things for free. Well, for the last month they keep bringing up the new Truvia Brown Sugar Baking Blend. So, I had to go and try some, I heard so much about it, I just had to know what all the fuss was about.

A bag of this blend will cost you about $7 at Walmart (regular brown sugar costs about $2). So yes, it's a bit more expensive, but to be honest, any baking sugar substitute is going to cost more. So, I don't mind paying a bit more if I have a reason (like for a diabetic neighbor or family member). The bag touts that the formula is twice as sweet as regular brown sugar. Using the recipe on the back of the bag, I made 24 cookies with only 1/2 cup of the brown sugar blend, so I really do feel it is pretty sweet.



So after making some cookies, an being satisfied with the results, I decided to play around a bit. This is what I came up with. I already ate what was leftover, but this will be for my kids for breakfast tomorrow.

Without further ado

I give you...

Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oatmeal Parfait



You will need:
1/2 can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix, just pureed pumpkin)
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup Truvia brown sugar blend
1/2 cup quick oats
and a splash of creamer - my recommendation is International Delight Pumpkin Pie Spice - I used a couple of tablespoons
and about 8 ounces of your favorite vanilla yogurt 

Mix all of the ingredients except the yogurt together. The mixture was too thick and the flavor was just a tad bit off until I splashed some creamer in there to thin it down and it balanced out the flavor perfectly. Fill a jar or container 1/4 of the way up with the pumpkin mixture. Then fill it to the 3/4 mark with vanilla yogurt, and top off the last quarter with more of the pumpkin blend. Sit overnight in the refrigerator...if you can wait that long...I personally downed some of it right off the bat. You can either eat through in layers or stir it all up, both are good! :) I hope you enjoy.


And it looks as good as it tastes!



Til next time,

-Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment